Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Candid photographs

Many people hate having their photograph taken. They liken it to going to the dentist. So first I try to put people at ease especially if is a portrait or head shot. They have to look at the camera. I tell them this is the digital age we can take as many photos as we like, so relax. Then I start to talk to them about their family, kids, job or stuff they like to do. Suddenly they become relaxed. I may try to sneek a couple photos while their talking, this can work but the main idea is they have stopped thinking about “smiling” and they are just themselves. Now when I have them look at the camera again they are much more at ease. However for family, friends and wedding it’s great for people to be involved in activities they like. I will put on my long lens so they are not so aware of my presence. Then I just keep “catching the moment”. Usually the best photos are the ones were they are observing one another.

No comments: